Throat chakra is the fifth chakra in your seven chakras. The Sanskrit name is “Vishuddha” meaning “especially pure”. It is located at the center of the neck. It acts as the individual’s force of expression and individual truth, both internally and externally.
As the throat chakra governs the mouth, tongue, and neck, it relates to communication and your ability to understand and speak your inner truth “purely”. The throat chakra is responsible for communication, the expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas, a healthy internal dialogue, and striking a balance between speaking and listening, as well as the seeking and sharing of truth, social skills, and personal integrity and honour.
It also works closely with the sacral chakra: while the sacral chakra governs creativity, it is the throat chakra that allows the individual to express those creative ideas, rather than stifling them for fear of others’ opinions.
When out of balance, one has difficulty staying true to themselves and expressing needs, desires, and opinions with themselves and others.
Throat chakra symbol
The symbol of the sacral chakra is composed of a circle with sixteen petal a crescent with a circle inside of it. Sometimes, it is symbolized by a circle containing a downward-pointing triangle in which is inscribed another circle. The color of Throat chakra is Blue. and its element is Air.
The mantra is “Ham”.
What if there is Imbalance in the Throat Chakra?
This chakra rests in the middle of your neck, right at the throat. It is intimately connected to all your self-expression, so it affects (and is affected by) everything to do with communication.
When throat chakra is balanced, you’ll be great at making yourself understood. You’ll be able to say what you really want to say, but with tact. You’ll know what you need, and be able to state that out loud in a way that gets people to listen. This type of alignment in the throat chakra has a wonderful influence on both your personal and professional lives, as good communication is vital in all significant relationships.
If you lack confidence in expressing your feelings, ideas and thoughts, your Throat Chakra may be blocked. If your Throat Chakra is closed or blocked, you likely experience frustration when it comes to expressing your feelings. This often means not being able to find the correct words, particularly when you are scared of losing something or someone. Other fears may be related to being ridiculed, or a fear of offending someone close to you.
The physical issues that imbalanced Throat Chakra causes are:
· neck pain or stiffness
· thyroid problems
· sore throat (acute and chronic)
· mouth ulcers
· jaw pain
· temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
· dental disorders
· hearing issues
On emotional level, imbalanced Throat Chakra shows following symptoms and problems:
· difficulty expressing your thoughts
· feeling timid or shy
· talking without thinking
· social anxiety
· difficulty making sound decisions
How to Balance Throat Chakra?
Healing chakras can sound complicated and unlikely, and you might think it will take a long time before you can begin properly opening chakras to treat blockages. The good news is that chakra exercises are nowhere near as obscure as you might suppose.
A variety of yoga asanas like shoulder stand, plow pose, fish pose, lion’s pose, seated cat-cow, and neck circles can help to target and open the throat chakra. Similarly, a yogic breathing technique called ujjayi pranayama breathing uses the breath to bring energy to the throat area, which can help to align the throat chakra. Praying, talking to nature, singing like nobody is listening also opens the throat chakra.
Chakra Singing bowl therapy also opens the blocked throat chakra in few sessions. The musical note “G” is associated with Throat chakra, so when we listen to the sound and vibration produced by such singing bowl, our body reacts to it quickly than other ways to open throat chakra. Our body is made with 70% water, so the vibration produced by singing bowl has direct affect to our body.
If visiting trained sound healer is not feasible then you can perform following Throat chakra sound meditation to quick result.
To perform Throat Chakra sound meditation, you need to follow steps:
· Wear a locket or bracelet made of Blue Topaz or Turquoise or Chrysocolla.
· Place a Throat Chakra singing bowl in the palm of your left hand and a mallet in your right hand.
· Sit in a comfortable, quiet place where you won’t be disturbed. Keep your spine straight, and your limbs relaxed.
· Take deep breaths inhale through the nose, and exhale through the mouth. Feel your body relaxing as you do this.
· Imagine a spinning ball in a shade of blue (the throat chakra color). See it sitting at the level of your throat, and imagine it glowing. At a same time play a singing bowl by rubbing the rim of the singing bowl in clockwise rotation.
· Relax on the sound produced by Throat chakra singing bowl, picture the blue sphere getting bigger and bigger, focusing on a feeling of openness and relaxation in the throat. As you inhale and exhale, picture the ball becoming bigger and brighter.
Allow the energy to disperse through your body, practice this sound meditation for 5 minutes and when ready slowly rub your palm of your hand and place in your eyes. After that slowly open your eye.
Other tips to Balance Throat Chakra
· Hang Chakra thangka on the sacred area of your home and perform either Throat Chakra yoga or Throat Chakra Sound Meditation.
· Wear bracelet made Blue Topaz or Turquoise or Chrysocolla.
· To bring balance to Throat chakra you should eat foods like blueberries, Apples, oranges and all other fruits that grow on trees are traditionally associated with the throat chakra. Experts say this is because these foods symbolize authenticity (due to the fact they only fall from their tree when they’re ready to eat). Lemongrass, ginger and salt also heal the throat chakra.
· Wear blue color clothes on Fridays.
· Burn essence oils made form Lavender, Chamomile and Rosemary.
· Practicing the above methods/technique on Friday specially to heal and balance the Throat chakra.