The third eye chakra is the sixth chakra in our body. The Sanskrit name for the Third eye chakra is “Ajna”, which means “command” and “perceiving” or “beyond wisdom”. Located on the forehead, between the eyebrows, it is the center of intuition and foresight. The function of the third eye chakra is driven by the principle of openness and imagination.
The third eye allows for clear thought, spiritual contemplation, and self-reflection. It is the highest chakra in the physical body, allowing it to provide visionary perspective. The third eye also helps to determine one’s reality and beliefs based on what one chooses to see in the world.
The third eye chakra primarily has to do with clairvoyance; as a result, the concept of the “sixth sense,” or strong intuition, came from this sixth chakra. As the most perceptive part of the human body and spirit, it governs self-awareness, higher wisdom, visualization, clarity, discernment, imagination, and creative dreaming. When balanced and in alignment, the third eye chakra trades typical black-and-white or “me versus them” thinking for wider perspectives and interconnectedness.
Third Eye chakra symbol
The symbol of the sacral chakra is contains two elements frequently associated with wisdom: the upside down triangle and the lotus flower. The color of is chakra is Indigo.
And the mantra is “OM”.
What if there is Imbalance in the Third Eye Chakra?
The third eye builds us with the ability to see what is unseen with naked human eye. The third eye may have blocks, which is simply an energy concept that would be handled through a healing process. Chakra blocks occur from fear, karma, jealousy, hate, greed, self-doubt, disappointments, lack of self-love, gossiping, and this list goes on. When third eye chakra is blocked it causes distress on both physical and spiritual level.
The blocked third eye chakra shows following physical and spiritual symptoms on our body:
· Trouble sleeping or insomnia
· Confusion or anxiety about decisions you need to make
· Frequent headaches
· Lack of imagination
· Unsure of what to do with your life
· Poor memory
· Feel pulled to meditate, be in silence, and do restorative activities
How to Balance Third Eye Chakra?
Although balancing the chakra sounds like a complex job, practicing chakra balancing and aligning on regular basis. Opening up to wisdom helps to restore harmonious flow of energy, going outside on sunny days of in the evening of full moons also helps to store third eye chakra.
The yoga poses like Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog), Balasana (Child’s Pose), Salamba Sarvangasana (Supported shoulder stand) or Virasana (Hero) also opens up the blocked Third eye chakra.
Chakra Singing bowl therapy also opens the blocked Third Eye chakra in few sessions. The musical note “A” is associated with Third Eye chakra, so when the sound and vibration produced by such singing bowl, our body reacts to it quickly then other ways to open Third Eye chakra. Our body is made with 70% water, so the vibration produced by singing bowl has direct affect to our body.
If visiting trained sound healer is not feasible than you can perform following Third Eye chakra sound meditation to quick result at home as well.
To perform Third Eye Chakra sound meditation, you need to follow steps:
· Wear a locket or bracelet made of Amethyst or Black Obsidian.
· Place a Third Eye Chakra singing bowl in the palm of your left hand and a mallet in your right hand.
· Sit in a comfortable, quiet place where you won’t be disturbed. Keep your spine straight, and your limbs relaxed.
· Take 10 deep breath, inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Feel your body relaxing as you do this.
· Focus your attention on the location of the third eye chakra, imagine Indigo sphere of energy in the middle of your forehead. Remember, Indigo is the third eye chakra’s color. At a same time play a Third eye chakra singing bowl by rubbing the rim of the singing bowl in clockwise rotation.
· Relax on the sound produced by Third Eye chakra singing bowl. As you continue to hear the sound from singing bowl breathe slowly and deeply, picture the Indigo ball of energy getting bigger and warmer. As it does, imagine it purging negativity from your body.
· Think of yourself of absorbing the third eye chakra’s energy—allow yourself to feel it all over.
· Allow the energy to disperse through your body, practice this sound meditation for 5 minutes and when ready slowly rub your palm of your hand and place in your eyes. After that slowly open your eye.
Other tips to Balance Third Eye Chakra
· Hang Chakra thangka or Third eye chakra Mandala on the sacred area of your home and perform either Third Eye Chakra yoga or Third Eye Chakra Sound Meditation.
· Wear bracelet made from Amethyst or Black Obsidian on regular basis.
· To bring balance to Third Eye chakra you should eat foods like Dark chocolate, eggplant, purple cabbage, red grapes and food that are rich in Omega-3 like walnuts, salmon, chia seeds and sardines.
· Wear indigo color clothes on Saturdays.
· Burn essence oils made form Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage or pine.
· Practicing the above methods/technique on Saturday specially to heal and balance the Third Eye chakra.