The Solar Plexus is the third chakra in our body. In Sanskrit its name is “Manipura Chakra” which means “Lustrous gem”. It is located in the area around the abdomen above the belly button up to the breastbone.
Solar Plexus chakra provides a source of personal power and relates to self-esteem, warrior energy, and the power of transformation. The solar plexus chakra also has much to do with motivation, willpower, and purpose, which stem from one’s sense of personal efficacy. Self-confidence and view of the self-connect to the solar plexus chakra, as well. Furthermore, this chakra governs the digestive system and its respective organs; as a result, it has jurisdiction over both the gut’s emotional brain and stored emotions.
Solar Plexus chakra symbol
The symbol of Solar Plexus is composed of a circle with 10 petals in which is inscribed a downward-pointing triangle. The color of this chakra is Yellow. Since it’s associated with the element of fire, it is also sometimes depicted with yellowish red.
And the mantra of this chakra is "Ram".
What if there is Imbalance in the Solar Plexus Chakra?
Solar plexus chakra can be blocked or knocked out of its proper alignment by anything that undermines you, by sudden changes in your life, or by difficulties associated with moving on from past mistakes. Interestingly, chakra experts also note that you can have an overactive solar plexus chakra, leading to feelings of mania or anxiety.
The physical level imbalance in Solar Plexus Chakra causes following health problems:
· Digestive cramps
· Difficulties with short-term memory
On emotional level, imbalance Solar Plexus Chakra shows following symptoms and problems:
· Feeling like you need to control everything and everyone around you
· Feeling helpless
· Difficulty seeing the “big picture” in life
· Lack of purpose or direction
· Low self-esteem
· Dreams that lack associated plans
· Unresolved guilt about the past
How to Balance Solar Plexus Chakra?
To balance Solar Plexus chakra, first you should believe you’re already far ahead of most people in the world by expanding your consciousness and asking yourself what is true for you, and staying strong in your beliefs. Most people never really get past the root chakra, a feeling of safety, which allows us to open up to the rest. But if you’re here, that means you’re ready to open up to one of the most beautiful, the heart chakra.
Many yoga poses, meditation, singing bowl sound meditation and sound therapy also bring balance to this chakra. The child poses asana is considered best yoga pose for opening Solar Plexus Chakra. The singing bowl sound meditation and singing bowl sound therapy also opens up the blocked Solar Plexus Chakra. The musical note “E” is associated with Solar Plexus, the use of sound and vibration produced by such chakra singing bowl open up the blocked chakra in just few seasons.
To perform Solar Plexus Chakra sound meditation, you need to follow steps:
· Wear a locket, necklace or bracelet made of tiger eye, Citrine or yellow tourmaline.
· Place a Solar Plexus Chakra singing bowl in the palm of your left hand and a mallet in your right hand.
· Sit in a comfortable, quiet place where you won’t be disturbed. Keep your spine straight, and your limbs relaxed.
· Take deep breaths inhale through the nose, and exhale through the mouth.
· Turn your attention to your upper abdomen, where the solar plexus chakra resides.
· Picture a round sphere of glowing yellow light in the center of the upper abdomen, and slowly concentrate on making the energy wider and brighter.
· Imagine the sphere rotating (clockwise) as it grows, and feel the area becoming warmer and more relaxed as you do this at a same time play a singing bowl by rubbing the rim of the singing bowl in clockwise rotation.
· After 3-5 minutes, let the energy dissipate throughout your body, take a few deep breaths again and open your eyes.
Other tips to Balance Solar Plexus Chakra
· Hang Chakra thangka on the sacred area of your home and perform either Solar Plexus Chakra yoga or Solar Plexus Chakra Sound Meditation.
· Wear bracelet made of Citrine, tiger’s eye, yellow tourmaline on regular basis.
· Yellow is the color of Solar Plexus so eating foods like yellow peppers, brown rice, brown bread, wholegrain cereal, corn and drinking Chamomile tea also balance this chakra.
· Wear Yellow color clothes.
· Burn essence oils made form Chamomile, bergamot, cedarwood and rosemary.
Practicing the above methods/technique on Wednesday specially to heal and balance the Solar Plexus chakra.